Massage therapy can help alleviate complications during and after pregnancy. This article highlights some of the prenatal and postnatal issues massage therapy in Ottawa can help resolve and the long-term benefits of massage therapy during such times.
Which prenatal and postnatal complications can massage therapy alleviate?
The body is prone to many complications during and after pregnancy. Physiotherapy can help to resolve most of them, including:
- Pain and stiffness of the back and joints
- Stress and anxiety
- Poor blood circulation
- C-section scar
- Muscle tension
- Carpal tunnel
- Poor sleep
Long-term benefits of massage therapy during pregnancy and for the newborns
The things your body goes through during pregnancy can affect you and the health of your child. Massage therapy accrues many benefits to you and your newborn.
These benefits include:
- Reduced anxiety, hence reduced risk of depression.
- Improved labour outcome, hence the health of the newborn
- Improved hormone regulation, leading to better cardiovascular health and mood.
- Reduced nerve pain
- Reduced tension and swelling during late pregnancy when the uterus rests on the pelvic floor muscles and the lower back
During massage therapy sessions, pregnant women may get a chance to lie on their bellies! For example, massage therapists at Apollo Physiotherapy have body cushions specially designed for the body of pregnant women to rest facedown. This gives women a perfect chance to lie on their bellies while pregnant, allowing relaxed moments during massage sessions.